Thursday, September 18, 2008

Fajita Skillet

Here is a good recipe that my family really liked. When I made this (sorry no pictures, it was before my blog was born; but when I make it again, I will photograph it and add the picture) anyway, when I made this I had 30 minutes to get a meal on the table before having to eat and take my oldest daughter to Tae Kwon Do; or else everyone would have been awfully hungry and grouchy if I would have had to make them wait.

This is a very easy recipe and very yummy! I got it from www.ricearoni.com where they have a fabulous dinner wizard that I use when I need something in a pinch and fast. It is just another source of quick food when my mind is having cooker's block (is there such a thing? Maybe it is something like writer's block...) ok here is the recipe with some serving tips at the bottom. Enjoy! (the comments in parentheses are my comments about this recipe)

Fajita Skillet

1 package (6.9 oz) RICE-A-RONI Chicken Flavor
2 Tbsp margarine, butter, or spread with no trans fat
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast strips
1 medium green or red bell pepper, cut into thin strips (I used a half of EACH red and green pepper)
1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
3/4 cup any favorite flavor salsa
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, or a mix of shredded cheddar and monterey jack, or Mexican cheese blend preshredded
Sour Cream (optional)

1. In a large skillet, combine the rice-vermicelli mix and 2 Tbsp margarine. Saute over medium heat until vermicelli is golden brown, stirring frequently.
2. Slowly stir in 2 1/2 cups water and special seasonings; bring to boil. (Basically following the package directions for the rice-a-roni)
3. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer 10 minutes. Stir in chicken, bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Return to a simmer. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add salsa; cook and stir until blended through. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with sour cream, if desired. (and who wouldn't desire sour cream? I don't know but we sure desire it)

Ok, my serving tips is this:
1. Use tortillas to make actual fajitas and scoop it into the tortillas, yummy that way.
2. Use extra salsa, cheese, sour cream, olives, guacamole and make nachos with it (this is what we did for leftovers for later while snacking and watching a movie)
3. Spoon it into hard shells or tostada shells for something extra yummy and then put the extra toppings on it for dinner.

Whatever you decide to do with this recipe, it is very versatile and the leftovers will not go to waste. It is just as good re-heated as it was when it was fresh cooked. So go on and enjoy this recipe, because I really like it. And what is nicer than tastes good and easy to prepare? I don't know... cheesecake maybe... that is another post entirely.. and coming the closer we get to holidays...mmmmmm mmmmm good!


Digg!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: