Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Chocolate Mousse with Blueberry Topping

The other night I was wanting some yummy chocolate mousse and when Cooking Dad went to the store, he picked a box of chocolate mousse mix up. (He thought he would simplify my life with the mix, he is so sweet!). So I thought I want it a little more decadent and yummy; I made this with chocolate cups as the bowl for my chocolate mousse. The blueberry topping was so easy to make that I will make it more often for pancakes and waffles. I just used regular whipping cream and used a little bit of chocolate from the chocolate cups to make the little chocolate decorations on top. It was a hit, especially with the kids. They ate double helpings of dessert (every once in a while, double helpings of dessert is ok).

First off I had to make the chocolate cups. So I used milk chocolate chips (I already had those in the house) and melted them. Then I lined the muffin tins with cupcake liners and poured in some chocolate. Then used a pastry brush to brush it up onto the liner up to the brim of the liner. In the freezer they went for about 20 minutes to harden. It was not an easy task to peel off the cupcake liners, but eventually they got done and I had chocolate cups to put the mousse in. These are not the most glamorous looking chocolate cups but since it was just for family and the kids helped, they were just perfect for us.

This is the box of chocolate mousse I had to work with. It was easy to make and very creamy. Usually I would have just gotten myself a great recipe for homemade chocolate mousse; but, I figured there was room to dress this up while I had the box. After making to package instructions, I refrigerated it until I had the blueberry sauce ready and cooled. In the meantime, the chocolate cups are just chilling out in the fridge waiting to be filled and devoured.

To make the blueberry sauce, I just took about 2 cups of frozen blueberries (thawed) + 1/4 cup of the juice, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 Tbsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp water (mixed it up so I have a white cornstarch liquid). Put the blueberries, juice, and sugar in a sauce pan and heated just until boiling. Add the cornstarch liquid and stir until thickened on low heat. Set aside and cool. Now, back to the chocolate cups.

The process in which I filled and dressed up the chocolate mousse is as follows:
1. You get out your chocolate cup from the fridge.

2. Add enough chocolate mousse until it just comes about 1/2 inch from the top (this is to make room for the blueberry topping and whipped cream)

3. Then add the blueberries and whipped cream (garnish with chocolate decoration which I made just by putting some of the leftover melted chocolate in a baggie; cut off a corner of the baggie and by the looks of this chocolate, I made the hole too big. I piped it onto parchment paper and let it harden and you can do this in any decoration you choose, it is very easy) And, there you go, you have a dressed up chocolate mousse that was very easy to make and looks pretty too so you can even have this when company comes. The kids thought it was fabulous and they had fun helping too.


Just remember you can use any fruit that you think will go well with chocolate, I just happened to have blueberries in the freezer so that is what I used. I can see a cherry, raspberry, or even strawberry filling added to this and it would be equally good. Have fun with it and just be creative!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: