Thursday, March 5, 2009

Tutti Frutti Peanut Butter Sandwich Contest Entry

Here it is!! It is my contest entry for The Peanut Butter Boy's contest at his site (the link is below). I recruited the help of my 10 yr old daughter since she is the peanut butter freak in the house. I figured if she loved it, than it was a hit! She definitely said this was my contest entry as you can tell by the happy face here!



We combined the sweetness of fruit to the richness of the peanut butter and some cream cheese to get this wonderful double decker sandwich on raisin bread. It can be a wonderful breakfast if you toast the bread, a lunchbox treat that is nutritious, or even that after school snack that will keep the kids full until dinner. I think I have a winner with this one, it is so simple yet nutritious and highly portable. I used my own homemade strawberry freezer jam (since it is chunky) and then you can use corn flakes for a little crunch or if you are fixing it for breakfast. My daughter loved it with the crunch of the corn flakes, but that is personal preference. Here is how I did it:

Tutti Frutti Peanut Butter Sandwich

3 slices raisin bread
peanut butter
cream cheese
strawberry jam
1/2 banana (sliced lengthwise into long strips)
thin slices of apple with skin
corn flakes (if desired)

Spread peanut butter on all 3 slices of bread. On the bottom slice, spread the strawberry jam on the peanut butter and place 3-4 apple slices on that. For the middle slice, spread one side with cream cheese and one side with peanut butter (this gets kind of messy, but only for a second I promise!). Lay on top of the bottom slice cream cheese side down. On the middle slice, place a layer of banana slices and then corn flakes if desired. Top with final slice, peanut butter side down. Cut into quarters and enjoy with some fruit on the side and a glass of milk. Here is a picture of the finished product:

(And I know my camera is not the best, this picture does not do this sandwich justice. Oh well, at least everyone will know what I am buying with my tax return... a new camera!! But, gotta make do with what I have for now.)

Here is the link to The Peanut Butter Boy if anyone also wants to enter this contest.

PBE Contest Banner

I think his site is a lot of fun, especially if you are a peanut butter fan. He has other yummy recipes and fun ideas too! Check him out!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

MaryBeth said...

OMG...I just looked at his site and had to call my husband. I told him that he needs to enter is weird peanut butter, miracle whip, bacon and pickle sammie...I have only heard stories of this sammie but never have seen it come to life. Thanks for sharing this info with us, it should be great fun.

Meg said...

Love your PB creation! It looks like a winner!