Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Caramel Sauce

I had a great request from one of our friends in India in regards to the Banana French Toast... and I quote from her comment:

"But I also have another question how in heavens does one make caramel sauce? In India, one has to make everything, not much comes out of a packet or a tin and even if it does, it tastes quite nasty, and the thought of hunting down caramel sauce is far too exhausting, it's quicker to just make it oneself, so please tell me a recipe for caramel sauce."

Ok Madhavi, here is a great recipe which I use when I actually have the time to make my own caramel sauce (usually during the holidays, it makes a great gift in a jar for caramel lovers also). This is a great recipe and very easy and even has microwave directions for those who want to save time during this busy holiday season. I am sorry about no picture, but I haven't made any yet but it is on my list.

Caramel Sauce

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup light cream
2 Tbsp light corn syrup
1 Tbsp margarine or butter (I prefer to use butter because it gives it a better flavor)
1/2 tsp vanilla

In a heavy saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Stir in 1/4 cup water. Stir in cream and corn syrup. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat, stir in margarine or butter and vanilla. Serve warm over the Banana Pecan French Toast.

Microwave Directions:
In a 2 cup measure, mix sugar and cornstarch. Stir in 1/4 cup water, then cream and then corn syrup. Micro-cook, uncovered 100% power (high) for 2-3 minutes or till bubbly, stirring every minute till slightly thickened, then every 30 seconds. Stir in margarine or butter and vanilla. Serve as above.

Notes:
- This is also a great sauce over ice cream or other desserts
- Makes a great gift in a jar for anyone who loves caramel


Digg!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: