Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sesame Ginger Beef

Asian food is always a big hit in my house. I had some beef stir fry meat lurking in the freezer from my last grocery shopping trip and when I decided what I wanted to make with it, it took some creative juices flowing in my mind to create my version of Sesame Ginger Beef. We didn't want the usual just beef stir fry so I concocted this recipe for the marinade, what I wanted in it based on what I already had on hand in my kitchen. Hope you enjoy it! We sure did!

Sesame Ginger Beef

Marinade:
1 cup beef broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds (toasting instructions below)
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb beef stir fry meat

Mix together. Add meat to ziplock bag, and pour on marinade. Refrigerate 6 hours or over night.


2 cups broccoli florets
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced fine
2 Tbsp vegetable oil

In a wok or fry pan, heat up the vegetable oil. Add red pepper, green pepper, celery, and onion. Stir fry until done, about 6-8 minutes.



Add the beef and marinade. When it gets hot and bubbly stir in a mixture of 1 Tbsp cornstarch and 3 Tbsp water to thicken.



About 6-8 minutes before serving, add broccoli. Put the lid on the let the broccoli steam until done. Stir in to get juices on broccoli just before serving. Serve over rice or soba noodles (we used rice).



Notes:
- You can also use 1 lb of round steak cut into thin strips for stir fry meat for a little less expensive meat. Or if you buy stew meat in bulk, save some chunks out for stir fry, and slice the chunks into thinner strips or chunks. Cut while partially frozen so it is easier to cut.
- To toast sesame seeds, place seeds in fry pan (no oil) and let fry until they start to pop and turn brown, takes just a couple minutes. Do a bunch at a time and cool them off and store in airtight container so you always have toasted sesame seeds when you need them.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Heidi said...

What a great looking beef recipe! Stop by my blog. I left you an award.

Unknown said...

yummy@I love beef.This recipe is easy to make.:)

MaryBeth said...

That looks really good Brenda...