Sunday, April 19, 2009

Apple Crumb Pie

Apple Crumb Pie just like a remembered as a kid. When we would go to my grandmother's house for Sunday dinners, this would be for dessert. She was such a great cook and I am happy to remake this again and again for my family. The tang of the apples goes great with the sweet of the crumb topping as it should. This is her recipe from the quite sizeable box of recipes I received after she passed away. I am happy to share this with everyone and hope it becomes a family favorite also.



You can do a couple twists on this recipe as I have experimented with in the past, such as adding raisins or dried cranberries to the apples to give more texture and a different taste to this old classic. Serve it warm with vanilla ice cream or turn this into a caramel apple pie, it doesn't matter; it still tastes wonderful however you prepare it. My youngest daughter loves this with just a dollop of whipped cream and it is fabulous! So enjoy the recipe, and comment back with any twists you may put on this recipe, I would like to know!

Apple Crumb Pie
(original recipe by my grandmother Audrey Stewart RIP 1912-2008; all tips in parentheses are my own instructions and ideas and not part of the original recipe)

Filling:
5 apples; peeled, cored, sliced (I use granny smith apples because they are most tangy)
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans, that is my favorite nut for pies but you can use whatever nuts you want, if you want)
3 Tbsp butter (not margarine)
Crust:
use your favorite recipe for pie crust, or can use premade pie shells

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line pie plate with crust. Peel, core, and slice apples into large bowl. (in between apples, I sprinkled a little Fruit Fresh and gave it a fast stir to help the apples not to turn brown). Add sugar, flour, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Mix well. Pour apples into pie plate. For topping, mix brown sugar, flour, and nuts in bowl. Cut in butter (make sure it is cold butter) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (about pea sized). Put this mixture on the apples. Wrap foil around edges of crust to prevent burning. Bake 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 25-30 minutes longer. Cool on wire rack.

Extra Variations:
- Add 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries for more flavor and texture, add to the filling.
- If you want icing or a drizzle; a thick powdered sugar icing, cream cheese icing, or a caramel drizzle can be used
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, or a dollop of whipped cream on top if desired.
- Can be made ahead and frozen; just bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour 20 minutes, putting foil on edges for first 40 minutes, then remove and continue baking until done, checking bottom of pie plate for doneness of middle of bottom crust. Adjust times accordingly if needed.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Gloria Chadwick said...

Your apple pie looks absolutely delicious. :)
Thanks for stopping by my blog... Yes, the book is available on Amazon, but I hope you win! :)

MaryBeth said...

My granny used to make pie like this when I was a little girl too. Yours looks simply perfect and very yummy!

Heidi said...

Your pie sounds great!

Judy said...

I bet my entire family would love this recipe. I am going to make it for them. It looks wonderful.