Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Acorn Squash Casserole


This is a new dish for us this Thanksgiving; I happened to have 2 acorn squashes in the pantry and thought about a casserole for Thanksgiving. I searched for one that would be similar to my usual Sweet Potato Casserole that I usually make for my son, but since he wasn't here this week, I chose something else. I found this recipe on Cook's.com recipe site and thought it sounded good. It is very easy to make and was very tasty. The sweetness of the brown sugar topping and the squash made a very nice combination with a little crunch of pecans in the topping as well. It was received well by the family.

Acorn Squash Casserole

3 c. mashed acorn squash or 2 pkgs of frozen squash, thawed
1/2 c. sugar
2/3 stick butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla, divided
2 eggs, well beaten

Topping:
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 stick butter
1/3 c. flour
1/2 c. chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice acorn squash in half, remove seeds, and bake 1 hour or until fork tender. Take out squash from skins. Combine baked squash, sugar, butter, and 1 tsp vanilla. Mix with electric mixer until well mixed. Add remaining vanilla and beaten eggs. Mix well. Place squash mixture into greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Mix together topping ingredients until texture is that of small peas and mealy. Spread on top of squash. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Makes 6-8 servings.

Notes:
- This can be made a day ahead and refrigerated until ready to bake and baked while turkey is resting after being roasted.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting recipe! I've never heard of such a thing, but I *LOVE* acorn squash. I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks!